Re: [TowerTalk] Radial length

To: "Robert Carroll" <w2wg@comcast.net>, "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial length
From: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:33:52 -0400
My understanding is that the linear distance between radials determines
ground resistance which needs to be minimized..  This is why more radials
continue to be useful when they are longer.  The shorter the distance from a
point in the ground where RF hits to a radial the better.  120 radials can
be longer because the distance at the tips is much smaller that would be the
tip distance for 16 radials at the same length.

As to the pattern of radials -- and I can't remember the reference but I
think it was in QEX -- not having a "perfect circle" is OK -- it just skews
the beam pattern. toward the direction with the densest radials.

73,
Larry
W1DYJ