[TowerTalk] Antenna element vibration damping - How

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna element vibration damping - How
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins K1TTT)
Date: Fri Aug 8 14:49:12 2003
Contrary to what others have said... get the heaviest, thickest rope you
can slide into the element and still have room for it to flop around.  I
like a tight nylon braid or old hemp/sisal because its heavy, I would
guess you could also use a flexible wire rope also but have never seen
it done.  The dampening action is achieved by the rope moving around
inside the element to absorb the vibration energy.  A rope about 1/2 of
the ID of the tubing is generally good.  One other thing interesting
about it is that it is generally most important to have rope in the
middle of each side of the element... that is, generally the vibration
is worst about 1/2 way out from the center to the tip of the elements.
So if you have a choice (like the element is made of 3 pieces on each
side) put rope in the middle section and maybe the outer one, rope near
the boom end does much less for vibration.

Depending on the element construction you can hold it in the element
with either the end cap or the bolts that go through the element to
either hold it to the boom or to hold sections of it together.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net