[Towertalk] 80m shunt feed now WORKS---THANKS ALL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 80m shunt feed now WORKS---THANKS ALL
From: ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca (Mike & Coreen Smith)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 18:54:08 -0300
In all my rush, I had forgotten that the braid of the coax actually connects
to the base of the tower as well as the radials.
(I just had it connected to my radials only-ooooops!)
I appreciate several SHARP hams pointing that out so eloquently to me. DOH !
I feel so stupid. (and no one made fun of me)
At least I got a good workout up and down the tower.

Attached the braid to bottom of tower;, went in the shack, SWR FLAT at
3.450MHz.
Barely touched cap with minimum engagements of plates and it's FLAT at 3.525
and rises to just over 2.5:1 at 3.800MHz
(which I rarely wander up to anyway)

Thanks for everyones advice.

Think I'll try it out tonight.

Can hardly wait for it to get dark now.