[TowerTalk] Everything Works QST Article by N6BT

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Everything Works QST Article by N6BT
From: w5kp@swbell.net (Jerry Kincade)
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:37:54 -0800
Hmmm. Well, the distinction between whatever you want to call the C3XL and
an interlaced antenna seems clear to me. My C3XL (no longer made by F12) is
called a "multi-monobander", I suppose because it requires three feedlines
and was designed to run on 10, 15, and 20M simultaneously in contesting
(with proper bandpass filtering in the shack, of couse) if desired. I don't
use it like that, instead I ran a single feedline to a remote coax switch up
on the mast with jumpers to each of the three driven elements. It has ten
elements, with seperate driven elements, reflectors, and directors for 20
and 15, and four other separate elements (two directors) on 10M. It sure
seems to work well. With each band having it's own seperate elements, and no
traps or loading devices, it appears to qualify as three monobanders on a
common boom. "Interlaced" has always meant (to me) a multiband antenna with
certain elements deliberately designed to do double duty and function on
more than one band. Each element is essential to the functioning of the
overall antenna on all bands. Take away an element or two of an "interlaced"
antenna and you are likely left with a dummy load on all bands. Take away
the elements for either or both of the other two bands of the C3XL, and it
should still function as an efficient 3 or 4 element monobander on the
remaining band. On the down side, the C3XL is useless on 12 and 17, as
expected.

And for those who saw my picture of my heavily iced up C3XL yesterday, all
is well, she's high and dry and straight again. Everybody said it would be
fine, and I guess I should have never doubted the F12 guys - I was just
getting a little nervous there for a while. Another hurrah for yagis
designed with very agressive taper schedules. :-)
73, Jerry W5KP

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----