[TowerTalk] Trees Impeding HF Signals?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trees Impeding HF Signals?
From: heatwole@clark.net (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:21:36 -0400
This is substantially more of an issue at VHF/UHF, but I'm wondering how
much trees/shrubbery impede signals at HF? If your antenna has to "see
through" a fair number of trees to get to EU (for example) could the trees
actually impede your signal? Could your signal in EU suffer as opposed to if
there were no trees in the antennas path? What about line of sight
propagation on the low bands or groundwave on the high bands, any "tree
loses" there? Could it actually be more advantageous to place an antenna
higher and suffer any changes in takeoff angle to avoid losses in trees, or
is "tree lose" not very (if at all) damaging to signals at HF?

73, Nat, WZ3AR
<heatwole@clark.net>
Damascus, Maryland

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----