[TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and
From: "Jon Casamajor" <k6el@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 17:25:26 -0700
K6KR said>>

I'm moving to a new site that is not too far from NAS Whidbey Island.

> I tried our coordinates and altitudes with the TOWAIR web page

> http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/towairSearch.jsp

> and fed in my coordinates.  My property is high-bank waterfront

> property, about 250' above sea level.  I put in feet, 250 AMSL, and

> various tower heights.

> At 6 meters of tower height, I don't need to register.  At 7 meters of

> tower I'm suddenly 22 meters too high for the distance from Whidbey

> NAS.  Many of the trees on my property are over 70'. I was planning a
tower in the

> neighborhood of 70 feet plus a 10 foot mast extension.   We do get
aircraft

> overhead from time to time.

> For those of you "near" an airport, what's involved in the

> registration with the FCC and FAA?  Is this a big deal?  I presume I

> should have this in hand before I apply for the tower permit.  Can I
register a tower that doesn't

> yet exist?   Am I going to need lights on a 70' tower?

> Thanks,

> Dick, K6KR

Hi Dick,

I live about 2 miles from a small, quite active airport, right on heading
for final approach to  runway 13. Way back in '89 when I put my tower up

I was told that I should apply to FAA for approval. I did that on form
7460-1 with a good description of my plans. I have trees, monster old black
walnuts that are between me and the runway and they are at least 125' but
about 200 yards towards the runway from my tower. My tower and mast is about
100 feet. My county didn't seem to care much about what I did.

I am a licensed pilot so I wanted to be damn sure I wasn't erecting a
hazard.dotted my I's and crossed my T's carefully.  The guy who approved my
request added a footnote, freehand, " If a pilot is below the elevation of
your nice tower at your location, he has a lot more problems than your
tower". Good point!

I just pulled the approved form out and it was stamped, prominently " ANY
FURTHER CHANGES IN FREQUENCY, RADIATED POWER OR ANTENNA CHARACTERISTICS
SHALL BE FILED AS NOTICE TO THE FAA ON FORM 7460-1.

The form was dated April 20, 1989.  Many changes have been made to the
antenna "characteristics" over the years but I've never heard from them
since. J

Being in proximity to a NAS means you have to be very, very careful with
your documentation probably.sometimes they fly close to or over the edge to
keep us safe.

 73, Jon

 K6EL