Re: [TowerTalk] BASE REBAR and Lightning

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BASE REBAR and Lightning
From: "K8RI" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 18:38:57 -0400
>> What about guys that use a piece of rohn 25 as the base, stick
>> the end in the 6 inches of gravel, and then fill up the rest
>> with concrete. There is no 4 inches of insulation with the earth
>> there, because the gravel has gaps  and moisture in it
>> which connect with the earth anyway. (a chemical fact)

The concrete forms a much larger contact area then the tower legs.
Unless there is alternate wet and dry cycles with air present there should
be little corosion under the cibcrete,  It's also below the frost line.  I
doubt anything up here would last long with metal protruding out the side of
the concrete into the ground that goes through quite a few freeze and thway
cycles each fall, winter, and spring.  Summer comes on Tuesday in the third
week of July.

> Those guys aren't following standard concrete practice (avoiding things
> sticking through the concrete/soil interface)

That's in the ROHN manual for bracketed towers, or it is in the older ones.
Re Drawing # A871298

Roger (K8RI)