[Towertalk] Guy Wire Tensioning-WAS Lost My Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy Wire Tensioning-WAS Lost My Tower
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:11:36 -0400
I have always used the Klein grip for guy wire tensioning...the little "pork
chop" has always worked well....one time we had a crew of three guys all
setting guy wires but only two Klein Pork Chops (that is what they look
like - sometimes called a Chicago Grip) so I said no problem we each took an
anchor point and I was without the Klein Chop - how did I do
it..............

I used a preformed guy grip with a thimble in the eye - I did not fully
install it - but left about 2" of the wraps not twisted into place....it
worked good - I actually used two of them....one would get the initial slack
out of the guy and the second was placed higher up and away form the anchor
point for final tensioning....

We did have to share the Loos gauge but it was very fast having three guys
at the three sets of guys....each with a comealong....only way it would have
gone faster is if we had has three Loos gauges!

That day near Sarasota started early and the last tower section was placed
and the mast installed into the tower after the sun had set - headlights
illuminated the sight....we had installed two towers with guys....they were
ready for the antennas.

One of the other two guys who helped me was WC4E who is referee-ing this
weekend and the third guy was the station owner who had just moved to
Florida and we were putting up his towers with him - what a mistake - I
ain't seen a certificate since!  He is returning WRTC co-champ K1TO.

WRTC and the IARU Radiosport start a few hours from now at 1200Z - be sure
to work the WRTC stations signing their OJ prefixes...for that matter work
anything with an OJ in its call - that is excellent contest practice!

Go Team USA!

73,

Jim, K4OJ