Re: [TowerTalk] CommScope coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CommScope coax
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:02:16 -0500
Would you know where I can find something on the order of LMR-900, 7/8" Heliax, or equivalent without having to take out a second mortgage?

I'd like to make two runs from the shack to the top of the tower (200 feet each) where I can use lesser pigtails.
I'm near Midland Michigan from a logistics standpoint.

Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:21:10 -0500, Richard DiDonna NN3W wrote:

The stuff I've seen for sale locally is CommScope item #3227.

It's very good stuff, optimized for very low loss at UHF. NOT very flexible -- this is for permanent install where it won't move. Solid copper center (#10 if I recall correctly), braid plus foil shield, reasonably easy to handle, fits standard connectors. Commscope has the reputation of a very good cable company.

The history of the batch for sale (a HUGE quantity) is that it was
sold to internet bubble company that went belly up (Winstar, I
think), so was sold at about a small fraction of its cost to various
wholesalers. One of my friends bought a couple of dozen 1,000 ft
spools, I bought two of them from him, sold one to three local hams.
Have used several hundred feet so far to feed HF (20-10) and VHF
(50, 144, and 440) antennas, a few patch cables, the rest is in my
garage.

You should be able to google to find a pdf data sheet.

Jim Brown K9YC