Re: [TowerTalk] Full Size Moxon is Up

To: "'Ron Chambers'" <rwchambers@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Full Size Moxon is Up
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:23:06 -0500
HI Ron!

Yes, I understand the two camps!

DX propagation conditions were very challenging on 40 meters for the last 4
DX contests. The K3LR 40 meter operators did lots of comparisons during the
past season between the new W6NL-Moxon stack on the second station at 185'
over 120' (these were brand new modified XM-240s) and our 40 meter main
station which is a stack of full size, four element OWA antennas at 190'
over 118' that have been up for 12 years. Both 40 meter antenna systems have
on tower switching systems that allow the operator to select feeding in
phase, out of phase or just a single antenna and all 4 antennas are
independently rotatable. The two towers for these arrays are 1100 feet
apart.

The performance (forward gain, pattern and VSWR bandwidth) of the 4 element
OWA stacked antennas is better (they have more than twice the boom length
and full size elements), but the W6NL/Moxon design worked much better
(improved front-to-back and greater VSWR bandwidth) than the old CushCraft
402CD that we used to use for the 2nd station at 140 feet.

73!
Tim K3LR
http://www.k3lr.com
K3LR DX Cluster telnet://dx.k3lr.com