Re: [TowerTalk] Frozen Rotor

To: "Mac" <w8xf@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frozen Rotor
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:53:55 -0500

I've done something similar to what Larry has done; however, I use heavy
duty, flexible vinyl and fold it into a simple cone.  I wrap the top of
the cone around the mast above the thrust bearing so it forms an umbrella
to protect moisture from settling on or into the bearing.  The vinyl can
obtained as scrap from fabric shops or upholstery shops.

One thing about vinyl. It's slipery.

The problem with vinyl up here in the frozen north is it getting brittle.
****
Down here in the frozen South, we use Fernco rubber pipe couplers from Home
Depot or Lowes... fit the small end to your mast, clamp with worm-gear hose
clamp and get the big end big enough to shield the bearing or tower-top
sleeve(no clamp).... NO GREASE NEEDED. Yes, the rubber may deteriorate in

If you put a piece of that vinyl around the sleeve (under the rubber coupling) it won't stick even if water did get in there. I like the idea of that rubber coupleing. OTOH I don't have any tower top sleeves used as bearings.

about 20 years.... someone else's problem! We also use Never-Seez in thrust
bearings. Wonderful stuff.

Never seeze? The black or copper colored stuff. Get a little on your hands and pretty soon most of your body is the same color. I think the suff is alive and migrates, but it sure does work.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

73, Mac, W8XF