Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:38:41 -0800
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>

> If that lead through some error (almost certainly by a
> goofball at the local repair garage) somehow becomes
> unbol;ted from the very large bolt securing it,  the
> electrical system in your vehicle will generally be toast
> long before the radio has a problem. That's why you use a
> negative lead fuse in a mobile when grounding a radio
> (stupidly) directly to a battery post connection.

Okay, I'll bite, Tom. Why is it stupid to run the negative
lead from my rig directly to the battery? I did this in my
truck. Is the main concern failure of the main chassis
to battery negative connection so that the rig power
return becomes the power return for the entire vehicle
electrical system? I did fuse the negative lead. If I change
this where should I connect the power return lead (its
easy enough to do)? Should I connect to any chassis metal
near the battery, the engine block, or are you advocating
that I only run one wire back to the battery from the rig
and use the vehicle chassis as the power return?

Thanks,