[TowerTalk] Strength of rotating towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Strength of rotating towers
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:33:51 -0800
Great question, Chris! Wish I had the answer. In the past
when I have posed questions related to torsional limits of
tower sections, they seem to have fallen on deaf ears. Most
of the familar design equation that are prevalent in the ham
literature seem to address overturning moment. There seems
to be a dearth of information on torsional load limits.

You might want to talk to Kurt Andress, K7NV. His
mechanical design software "Yagistress" may have the
capabilities you need to address this problem. Intuitively,
I was thinking that mounting the base of the rotator on a
lossy torsional spring mount might be helpful. This would
transfer the rotational energy of the unconstrained  rotating
sections into the fixed tower. In the static case, I don't think
this buys you anything because the rotating section would
experience the same amount of static torque once the lossy
rotator mount "wound up" tight. The lossy rotator
mount would, however, lessen the shock loads from transient
loads like stopping, starting, and wind gusts (imagine a car
hitting a springy wall instead of a brick wall). Of course if
you shock mount the rotator, you have to make sure the
system is damped enough that it doesn't oscillate, else your
tower might turn into a fascimile of the infamous Tacoma
Narrows Bridge.

Of course, I am not a structural engineer, so I may have this
all wrong. I would strongly urge you to talk to guys like Kurt,
or perhaps Dick Weber, K5IU to get a really credible answer.

BTW, sounds like a nice setup. Look forward to hearing you
on the air.