RE: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"'Jon, W4ZW'" <w4zw@comcast.net>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas
From: "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:03:22 -0400
When you say "There hasn't been any "new invention" that has re-written
past rules", you must mean "new science always preceeds inventive
exploitation of that new science". Otherwise, there are many
counterexamples -- e.g. vacuum tubes, transistors, fission reactors, and
superconducting magnets. In the fields of molecular biology and
pharmacology, there are plenty of examples of inventions -- drugs --
whose underlying science is not yet understood, but these domains are
unlikely to generate new antenna designs.

While our understanding of "basic physics" is far from complete, I agree
that most new science in this area will be revealed by theorists,
mathematicians, and experimenters with access to high-energy
accelerators -- not as a side effect of someone inventing a new widget.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ