[TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:08:30 -0700
has there been any previous discussion on the merits (or lack
thereof) of insulated
elements visa vie lightning? I recently installed a tower system
will 5 f12 antennas -
all having insulated elements... the tower I believe is well
grounded as are the cables.

Last night we had a storm pass by maybe 5 miles away and I was
standing outside
watching - wondering.... and there was a bolt that was well
maybe a few miles away
and almost immediately I heard kind of a slow sizzling sound
from around the tower.
I was standing - 200' from it (next to the house). Nothing
visible... all was disconnected
(in the house) at the time and all works fine today.... but it
made me wonder. Normally
a well grounded tower is LESS likely to get hit (I have never in
many years with towers
been hit on the tower) but with insulated elements - one would
think a charge could
readily build up on these things!

thoughts?

Gary