Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of the HAM Seriesofrotators...How doyoutell the

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of the HAM Seriesofrotators...How doyoutell the difference.
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:20:24 -0400
I have used a T2X since about 1980.  It has the terminal strip on the base.
To put it inside my 71 foor Tristao crank up I had to remove one of the
sidebars.  Lou Tristao advised putting a Rohn 25 guy bar around the middle
of the tower section. This takes some work but fits snugly.

The rotor has been to repair three times.  The first after 8 or 9 years it
went to Allen WB4GNT who runs Max Gain Systems (MGS4U).  He charged me $75.
I sent to him as a tornado passed over the house and lifted the beams, mast
and rotor/rotor plate and tirned the whole mechanism
45 degrees.  Brad W9FX worked on it as it took a beating by Hurricane Ivan
and wind blasts at 85 to 90 MPH.  He did find extensive damage but it was
fixed and that was 3 years ago.

Tristao/US Tower has what they call a sleeve bearing in the top of the tower
below the top plate.  I bought a Fafnir commercial bearing that I placed on
the top of the tower.

When I first moved to Atlanta in the mid 1970's I did buy a converted prop
pitch from a fellow in CA (Bob Leo).  I think Bob was a WB6.  The problem
with the prop pitch was it nearly broke the top of the tower off on one
occassion when a element caught in a tree.  The HAM M/T2X is the only rotor
that fits inside my tower.  I looked at one of the RD1800's but its slightly
bigger and not much better.

I do have another old T2X that I use as a temporary replacement when I send
the main one off for repairs.

73 Dave K4JRB