Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Accident

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Accident
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 05:26:06 -0500
I remember being one of many "controlling" guy ropes attached to a hot air
balloon that was used to raise the heavy top section of guyed AB-105 tower
with a large monobander and prop pitch already mounted on it to the top of a
180' tower, I think.  Two friends waited at the top of the tower to bolt on
that top section.  We controlled the horizontal movement of the balloon, and
the balloonist controlled the vertical motion.

Using a crane with a professional operator who does precision lifting all
the time is one thing, but a hot air balloon that otherwise goes where the
wind pushes it is very different.

It made the cover of CQ in the late 1970s, I think.  It was a great photo
op, but I've always been thankful nothing went wrong.

I've often thought back what could have happened if there had been a gust
(or less) of wind that could have smashed the whole thing into the tower and
the two friends strapped onto the top.

But we did save money by not hiring a crane, so I need to keep everything in
perspective.

Jim N7US