[Towertalk] Attaching a mast to a tree

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Attaching a mast to a tree
From: contesting@eircom.net (Tim Makins, EI8IC)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:30:46 +0100
I have a 60' mast made of three 2" x 20' thick wall steel scaffold poles
welded together with angle iron reinforcements at the joins. Very strong. I
have it erected against a 50' pine tree, and want to attach it to the tree
in such a way that it is secure, yet doesn't damage the tree or impede its
growth etc more than necessary.

What method would people suggest to attach it to the tree ? My idea was to
get a few steel plates to use as saddles, 6" x 2" with 1/2" holes at each
end, and screw them over the mast into the tree using 6" coach bolts, which
are those things like big wood-screws but with a hex head on them. Then, as
a safety measure, add 3 or 4 galvanised steel cable loops around the tree
that are not tight enought to stop growth.

Comments ?

Tim, EI8IC
www.qsl.net/ei8ic/
HF and Budget Contester Resource Site