Re: [TowerTalk] my back Yard

To: "Richard Joey Fiero II W5TFW" <w5tfw@arrl.net>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] my back Yard
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:59:21 -0400

> In my back Yard I have a KLM 10 to 40 meter  LOG , That I will also never
> put up.
> and a self supporting tower also.
> I suppose I am kinda antenna poor, and the wheel chair canceled alot  of
> my
> plans.

As did a bad back and stroke for me, but I do expect to be back to climbing
in the not too distant future
I've had the rotator ready to go back in for over 6 months and the big array
has been held in place by a SS comealong with the feed lines disconnected
since last fall. The therapist took my leg and ankle brace away today so
it's going to be a Tylenol night (or maybe Tylenol with codine), but I
expect that too will be temporary.

11 weeks ago I could not use my left hand to draw a straight line and keep
the pencil on the paper. Now I can touch type at over 60 WPM again.  Then I
needed some one to help me stand.  Now after learning to walk again I can
walk without a cane or brace albeit with a bit of a limp and "flat footing"
some steps.. I never though there would be two times in my life where I'd be
proud of being able to tie my own shoes. It took three weeks of looking at
my toes before they'd do anything except look back. The first time I thought
I saw my big toe move I think I called nearly every one I knew<:-))

Think positive Joey. All of our thoughts are with you and one of these days
you'll be out of that wheel chair and back active again. I know there were
times when it "wore on me" more than a little, but I keep thinking of being
able to do my own work again.

I find it difficult when I look up the tower, knowing I have the capability
to climb up there now with a bit of effort, but I don't have the stamina in
that leg to stay up there and get any work done safely. I'm not so sure I'd
have the stamina to safely climb back down either. So, I add another set of
leg extensions, curls, and deep knee bends.

As soon as I got home from the hospital I started weight training which was
even before I could stand or walk without hanging onto something for
support. Once I reached the point where I could make it down stairs while
hanging on to the walls I started working on my legs.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)