Re: [TowerTalk] Lighnting Protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lighnting Protection
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:24:55 -0500
John,

Whatever you use, put one right at the rotor, ground it to the tower, and
same thing for the STEPPIR.  Then use them also at your ground window
entrance to the shack.  Putting one at the rotor/antenna will help keep the
rotor's internal parts at the same potential as the tower and it will have a
much less of a chance of damage.  If you have an HD300, just do it and don't
question it.  In fact, you can also add the MOV's or Transorbs (better yet)
to the terminal strip inside your control box.

I don't have any experience with STEPPIR and lightning, but it might be
worth a call to them and ask their opinion.

Jim, KR9U
________

Whats everyone using for lightning protection for rotor cables (8 conductor)

and STEPPIR control cables (16 conductor). I'm looking at the ARRAY
SOLUTIONS
sets but would like to check out all the other setups, if there are any?

Setup is 55' crankup with 4 element STEPPIR, inverted L , GS10000 Yaesu
rotor
at 135' from the shack. Polyphasers on the coax and a Ameritron coax switch
at
the tower.

*