[TowerTalk] Driving ground rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods
From: "Mike Bragassa" <bragassa@consolidated.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:14:24 -0500
Allen: If your soil is relatively soft; like ours is here, (sandy-loam; no
hard-packed clay) I use a fence post driver from Tractor Supply. It is a 3"
pipe sealed at the top end, and maybe 18--24"long with two grab-handles on
the sides. About $20.00. I stand on a step ladder to start and drive the rod
in very easily.
Don't attempt to drive them in with a sledge hammer. You will 'miss' most of
the time and hurt yourself as it will be a moving target, even if someone is
holding it steady. In a bind this will work...one time,  and then that
person won't volunteer...again. (Ask my wife.)
I'll let others respond about driving into hardpan..But, I would not be
concerned at all about the physical contact of the rod to soil. In a very
time, any gaps are filled..

Mike, K5UO