Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EFHW core
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 10:09:44 -0700
On 9/22/20 10:04 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 9/21/2020 5:11 PM, Ignacy Misztal wrote:
It s hard to be smart here without tons of experimentation.

Huh? How about studying the fundamentals? The ARRL Handbook and ARRL Antenna Book are great places to do that. NEC modeling is a great learning tool for antennas, and SimSmith is great for studying transmission lines and matching networks. There are several tutorials on my website that cover ferrites and common mode chokes. Jerry Sevick published a lot of great work on transformers using ferrite cores.

73, Jim K9YC

And these days, one can buy a nice little VNA (NanoVNA) that works great at HF for $50 - just the thing for checking the calculations.

Of course, then you'll wind up learning more than you want to know about "fixturing" for testing your transformers and chokes.

I will say that magnetics design is very much a "calculate, then try" sort of thing. There's a lot of things (like parasitic C) that are hard to model with simple tools.