Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Location

To: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Location
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:09:29 -0700
Roger
It is true that the tower acts as a torsion bar in the high rotor
configuration.  The extent that the tower deflects and acts as a damper
(what is the source of the damping?) will depend on the nature of the
structure and the location and configuration of the guys (anti-torsion
brackets?).  The result is a dynamic loading of the tower that will  also
have resonances.

I seriously doubt that the shear placed on a Rohn 45G, for example,  will be
particularly significant for a lower position of the rotator, though,
depending again on the nature of the structure and the antenna.  All of the
loads except the vertical load are linear and can be analyzed using a Mohr's
Circle method.  Even the vertical load an probably be treated as solely
compressive for that purpose since the buckling loads will probably not be
affected by a shear at a very low position.

In the latter configuration it is the mast that becomes the focus of dynamic
torsion.  Again, as you say, it acts like a spring with very limited
damping.  But so does the tower.  Placement of radial bearings (not thrust
bearings) along the mast is essential to prevent buckling of the mast if it
is too long or too thin.  Ignoring the rotator backlash, the dynamic result
can easily be determined by use of a simple second order linear differential
equation equivalent to the equations used in linear electronic systems.  If
the length of the mast is not particularly long and the mast has a
sufficient polar moment of inertia  then either the spring constant in the
linear equation becomes very high using Hooke's  Law or the length over
which it is applied is short and the deflection becomes very low.  The
result is a mast that has its critical load applied in shear, an easy
analysis using the torsional stress equation, particularly if there is no
vertical load on the mast (thrust bearing at the top).  Choice of the mast
material is thus critical as is the decision to limit the perceived dynamic
damping.

I have done it both ways without problems.

73
Bill
W7VP