Re: [TowerTalk] Inspect Your Boom to Mast Plates!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inspect Your Boom to Mast Plates!
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 22:33:39 -0600
I agree with Bob's advice.

Several years ago, I looked up at my 3L Force-12 EF-340 40M yagi to see the
ends of the boom, where the boom guys were fastened, higher than the center
of the boom at the mast.  Though it was 9 PM, I hastily climbed to inspect
and found the boom-to-mast plate had cracked into seven pieces, each break
through a bolt hole.

I had heard creaking when the wind blew but was in denial as to what it
meant.  I was going to be moving back to AZ soon anyway, so I took the
antenna down the next day.  I replaced the plate with the new, heavy-duty
version when I reinstalled it in AZ, and that one never had a problem.

Jim N7US