RE: [TowerTalk] Rotator for MA550

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, "'Kim Bottles'" <kbottles@rafn.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Rotator for MA550
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:10:17 -0400
I agree that the windload must be considerd. Technically, the MA550 should
be able to handle the 4-el SteppIR. I believe the tower is now rated to
either 60 MPH or 70 MPH with up to 10 sq. ft. of antenna. That said, I
completely agree that the tower should be cranked down when not in use.
That's what I do with my MA-770MDP. It stays all the way down except for
contests and the occasional rare DX that I still need. I have a wind speed
gauge and indicator in the shack, and always lower the tower if the wind
gets much above 25 MPH. Note that my current antenna, a 4-el 20m yagi with
30' boom, has considerably less windload than the TH-7 I used to have on the
tower. The TH-7 is about the same as a 4-el SteppIR. If you saw the tower
with TH-7 swaying back and forth, often violently, when the wind gusts over
about 15 MPH, you'd lower the tower too!

An alternative is to lower the tower to about 40 feet or less. The structure
is much stronger when lowered just 10 feet, and is really strong when
lowered by 20 feet. I used to keep my MA-770MDP at 50 feet and it was pretty
stable at that height with the TH-7. I suspect it would take something on
the order of a hurricane to damage the tower at 40 feet. However, since I
used the antenna so rarely outside of contests, I decided it wasn't worth
keeping it up at all (I have a small tribander on a small guyed mast -- an
AB-577 -- that's quite sufficient for casual use.) Note that the MA-550
would have to belowered to 40' or 30' to get the structural advantages
mentioned above.

I've been considering replacing the monobander with a 4-el SteppIR, and
there's no way the tower would stay up all the time.

BTW, the motorized version of the tower isn't just a luxury. First, the
tower is 250 feet away from the shack down a steep hill. Second, I was
certain that if I had to manually raise and lower the tower I would get lazy
and not lower it when it really needed to be lowered. I think the motor and
remote control are worth every penny.

73, Dick WC1M