RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Redux

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Redux
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:38:44 -0400

> Figure out how to make the elements of retractable
> tubing, so when not in use, they collapse down to
> 3 feet (each side) or whatever.  This would reduce
> the 2 element antenna to the size of a TV antenna when
> not in use.  This might be a big advantage for restricted
> QTH's.  The antenna could have an additional "5 meter"
> band setting which would qualify it as a channel 2
> TV antenna for legal purposes.

Actually, I think one could probably use the very same
technology as SteppIR are currently using but fix the
end of the BeCu strip to the tip of the fiberglass
tube.  If the tubes were not "locked" into place and
and taped, they could conceivably expand/contract with
the strip.  It appears to me that the strip is stiff
enough to do the job.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK