Re: [TowerTalk] 2m/440 Dual Band Beam

To: "'John.'" <johne@tds.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2m/440 Dual Band Beam
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 08:36:01 -0700
I assume you want one with the elements in the same plane.  There are a few
intended for satellite use that have the elements for the two bands mounted
perpendicular to each other.

The Cushcraft was the only one I could find a few years ago.  I also found
that if mounted parallel to a metal mast with the supplied hardware the
2-meter reflector is so close to the mast that it affects the resonance on
2-meters.  There is also one available from MFJ now:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1768.  I don't know
anything about its quality of construction but the Cushcraft seemed to be
well made.

As an aside, since we are on the subject, my favorite 2m/440 antenna is a
LPDA form ELK Antennas (http://www.elkantennas.com/).  If you mount it
vertically (mast parallel to elements) you must use a nonconductive mast,
but otherwise it's a neat little antenna.  It is particularly broad banded,
covers all of both bands.  It is intended more as a portable antenna
(quick-attach elements) and some say the PVC boom-to-mast attachment makes
it unsuitable for prolonged mounting, but I built a similarly constructed
antenna (with PVC boom-to-mast) about fifteen years ago and it has been up
continuously ever since and still looks and works fine.

One more thing, the ELK antenna and the DK9SQ push up mast make a really
nice setup for a very portable/easy to set up emergency communications
station.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in either company, but the designer
of the ELK antennas (Ray Gaschk, W6FYA) is my friend.

73 - JC, K0HPS