[TowerTalk] Antenna on high winds...

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna on high winds...
From: <ec1cwg@dxhunters.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:01:54 +0200
Hello TTers,
For a lot of years (almost 20) I´ve been placing my Explorer 14 straight into
the wind to avoid stress to the yagi and also to tower and rotor. So, when I
had a strong south wind I pointed the antenna to North or South alternatively.
If I remember correctly there was a time when I had no rotor and the antenna
pointed itself to the wind direction with just a slight breeze (just like a
weathervane). I know this thread has been widely debated here several times but
it came up to mind while reading the manual of my new Optibeam OB11-3W clearly
says: ¨At strong winds the antenna should be placed in a way that the tips of
the elements show straight into the wind wich means that the boom stands
broadside to it¨...I know that you should follow what manufacturers say but I
would like to know what´s your opinion about this (once more). Thanks and 73s!
EC1CT Fernando
E-mail: ec1cwg@dxhunters.com
URE & ARRL member