Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259

To: "'Tower Talk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259
From: "va3pl @ cuic.ca" <va3pl@cuic.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:19:12 -0500
My way of installing PL259 is as follows:
1.Go to industrial tool supply store and obtain D4 reamer. The reamer
diameter is 13/32" (0.406"). I have other reamer that have a diameter 0.404"
which I prefer because it give me a tighter connection).
Ream the inside thread using that reamer. This way the threat tips will not
be that sharp. Blow away the chips.
2. Strip the cable (RG213) outer jacket and then centre insulator to the
proper dimensions. The proper length of exposed shield should be the same as
length of the PL259 body.
3. Screw the PL259 on to the cable braid. (It will require some force. But
be careful not to brake any shield wires).
4. The center conductor should protrude through the center pin.
5. Solder the centre conductor to the centre pin.
6. Trim excess cable shield.
It is good idea to apply some silicone grease in between shield and thread
of the PL259.
It is also a very good idea to use various colors shrink tubing to go a bit
over the body of PL259 and a dab of silicone grease to make it water tight.

73 de Andy - VA3PL