Re: [TowerTalk] Using a dip meter

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using a dip meter
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 02:59:25 -0000
From: "Scott McClements" <kc2pih@gmail.com>
To: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@arrl.net>
Cc: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 2:23 AM

> On 3/20/08, Dave Hachadorian <K6LL@arrl.net> wrote:
>
>> The quad loop must be continuous, with no insulators.
>
> Dave - Thank you for addressing my question. You point out
> something
> here - this was my 75 meter loop - which is not parasitic.
> Its driven,
> so its broken at the feedpoint with an center insulator.
> Would that cause a problem?

Yes. That's the problem. Remove the feedline and put a
temporary jumper across the insulator, and you will read the
resonant frequency of the loop. You could build your little
coupling loop into this jumper, and remove the other little
loop.

>The manual gave one example for reading
> antenna resonance - a ground mounted vertical. It showed a
> loop in the
> vertical section of the antenna.

For a vertical, the loop should be between the vertical
radiator and the ground system. Maybe they showed a ground
at the base of the vertical, and a small loop just above the
ground. That is essentially the same thing as a loop between
the vertical and ground.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.