Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:52:22 -0500
> There is no way that I will believe that a "physically small radiator with
> a very low loss matching network" is as effective as a half wave antenna.

That's about ten decades of research reading to catch up on -- starting with
short Marconi base-fed vertical radiators, then moving on to the shortened,
but optimized "T" used at 1BCG for the transatlantic tests in 1921, moving
forward to Jerry Sevick's work in the mid '70s on severely shortened, yet
highly efficient vertical antennas.

With top loading for verticals, or end-loading for dipoles, super high
efficiency can be maintained.  I would start by reading Sevick's work as a
general analysis of shortened antennas, and also study how and why a
radiator's feedpoint Z, I, and E changes with radiator length.

Paul, W9AC