Re: [TowerTalk] Source for #6 Copperweld

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source for #6 Copperweld
From: "Martin A. Flynn" <maflynn@theflynn.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 07:32:35 -0400
John,

Plenty of experience with Copperweld

In this case I am looking at a span distance of about 290 feet.

Winter Ice and trees dropping branches have snapped #14 CW, so I'm upping the game.  Should not perform any better than the #14, just less likely to be taken down by the weather.

Will be using utility grade dead-ends and insulators (power line hardware), so the terminations are pretty straight forward.

Link to the deadend style I'm using: https://www.hubbell.com/hubbellpowersystems/en/products/copper-automatic-dead-end-6-sol-copper-clevis-bail/p/151163

VY 73

Martin

W2RWJ

On 8/26/2024 11:35 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I'm just wondering if you have worked with 6 awg copperweld.  I have not but
I would be concerned with its stiffness and springiness. I have used smaller
copperweld for temporary antennas in the Caribbean and I had disappointing
results.  The copperweld kept breaking.  I started using 14awg THHN and
never had an issue.  For a longer span like your longwire, heavier THHN
would likely work fine and it's readably available.  Copper wire is also
available hard drawn which adds significant strength but I have not tried
this yet for antennas.

John KK9A

Martin A. Flynn W2RWJ wrote:

Looking to source #6 copperweld for a longwire antenna in less than the
standard 685 foot coil.

Anyone aware of a source for this product by the foot or 1/2 coil?

73

Martin

W2RWJ