[TowerTalk] Guy Wire Insulators

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Insulators
From: "Byron Tatum" <bjtatum@ev1.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 22:53:22 -0500
Hello-
    A quick question :
        This is my first time to insulate my guy wires from the tower.I am
putting up 90 feet of 45-G, guyed at 3 levels using the GB-45G guy brackets. I
have some of the  guy wire insulators { similiar to # 502} and was curious if
there was a better way to utilize these insulators than what I plan to do :
        1. Cut a piece of 1/4" EHS guy wire approx. 4' long.
        2. Attach a PLP preform with 3/8" thimble to one end of this guy wire
piece.
        3. Attach the insulator using PLP preform to the other end of this guy
wire piece.
        4. Attach the tower guy wire to the insulator with PLP preform.
        5. Attach the thimble to the GB-45G guy bracket.
        6. Tension and land guy wire to equilizer plate as normal.
                     I  have a few special clevis fixtures that have a curved
bolt and they fit these insulators, but I am a little scared of them. I found
them in some used tower guying materials. They would eliminate the need for the
4' cable piece and 2 extra preforms. I was curious if there is an acceptable
clevis-type U-bolt that would adapt the insulators straight to the GB-45G
brackets? If I use the 4' cable pieces the insulators will be just about out of
reach in case I needed to bridge across them with a resistor.
        Thanks, Byron WA5THJ.