Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Know if posible to lock tower sections on TRI EX

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Know if posible to lock tower sections on TRI EX
From: "Doug Rehman" <doug@k4ac.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:54:02 -0400
Assuming that the tower is rigged the same way as others I've seen, it would
be easier to disable the top section. The lifting cable from the winch is
connected to the bottom of the second section. A different cable connects
from the second section to the third section (top section), resulting in the
second and third sections extending in unison. If you disconnect the lifting
cable from the second to the third section, only the second section (with
the third section nested) will rise. For more than three section towers,
each additional section is raised by a cable connected to the section below
it.

With that said, the tower might be stronger if you just raise it to the
desired height. There is significant strength developed by the overlapped
sections.

Doug
K4AC