Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 vs. Rohn 45

To: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>,"'" TowerTalk "'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 vs. Rohn 45
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:02:28 +0000
Joe:

Rohn 55g legs are 0.5203 sq in and 45g legs are 0.3043 sq in each. That is 71%
larger, this is significant. Give the leg clear spacing (between the
horizontals) and 50 ksi yield steel the allowable leg force for 55g is 14,000
lbs. vs 45g which is 7,950 lbs. This is based on the Kl/r of the legs. 55g has
76% more compressive capacity.

Based on the full section properties ( all 3 legs) and the maximum spacing for
the guying arrangements shown on the Rohn drawings for 110 mph and 100 feet in
height, the max unbraced length for the 55g is 33 feet and for 45g it is 34
feet.
Given this then the allowable section load for 55g is 36,220 lbs. and for 45g
it is 20,740 lbs. 55g has 75% more compressive capacity. By the way in this
case the controlling value for 55g would be 36,220 lbs as it is less than 3X
14,000 = 42,000 lbs. For 45g it would be 20,740 lbs as it is less than 3X 7,950
= 23,850 lbs.

The guy systems are sized to develop the required horizontal load capacity and
the tower section is sized to develop the vertical component of the guy forces.
In a multi guyed tower the vertical components of all guys are added to get the
total compressive force.

Your comment about what users are getting away with has no relevance to the
physics of the system.

The upshot is that the capacity is directly related to the " .. modestly larger
side rails. ..." and the spacing between the guy attachment locations on the
tower.

As to the added cost, only the user can decide that if the increase in strength
(allowable antenna area) is worth the increase in cost of not only the tower
section and foundations but all the other appurtances necessary.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X
President