Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise

To: "Gary E. Jones, Ph.D." <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:43:12 +0000
Gary:

     There are several tools that will let you wrap tie wires around rebar
snuggly enough to prevent the cage from falling apart as it is dropped into
place (usually with the hlep of the excavator machine's bucket or several
college football players.)  One tool is found at
http://www.icfaccessories.com/rebarties.html#wiretie .  Scroll down to find
wire ties and pigtail wire twister.  At each junction you wish to join, you
bend one of these premade ties around the joint and catch the two eyes on the
tool's pointed end.  Then you crank the tool until the wire snugs against the
rebar junction.

     If you're using plain steel wire off a reel, you'll have to use one of
these: http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/d213st.html  .  I used this method to
cut and to twist the steel wire around the rebar joints for my tower's
foundation.

     There are also powered tying machines but their prices run into the
kilobuck range and above.

    Here's some advice that I got off Scott KA9FOX's web site
(http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/tower/6.shtml , scroll to the bottom):  Build each
side of the cage on flat ground, then assemble the sections vertically before
you hoist them into the hole.  I kind of built my cage this way, but lowered
one side at a time into the hole.  Then I climbed into the hole (with proper
shoring) to tie the sides together.  It took me the better part of an
afternoon, but I took my time.

     FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F