Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical with No Radials on Metal Roof

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical with No Radials on Metal Roof
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:43:58 -0700
Bob
You do not give the dimensions of your roof.  I will say, however, that my
experience with the metal roof was very good.  I had a 40x50 metal shop in
Ellensburg that I mounted a pair of verticals on for a set of phased
verticals. The verticals I used were HyGain 14AVQs fed in accordance with
the HyGain Tech Note for Phased Verticals.  The verticals were mounted 1/4
wave apart for 40 meters and fed in a manner to allow switching between in
phase and plus or minus 90 degree feeds thus, in theory, permitting
switching between broadside and plus or minus endfire cardioid patterns.
The systrem worked well even without bonding the metal panels although the
entire building was metal in my case. and a tower on one end was certainly
grounded (for what it was worth).   I only used the arrangement on 40 meters
though so I do not know what the effect might hae been on other bands.  My
experience with raised phased verticals without a metal roof were that the
phasing was very difficult and required some substantial iterative testing
to accomplish using some very complicated measuring procedures..
73
Bill W7VP