[TowerTalk] Re: US Towers 472 coax question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: US Towers 472 coax question
From: n7us@arrl.net (Jim McDonald)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:40:28 -0700
I've taped them in the past, but they look lousy when the tower isn't all
the way up, as all of the cable is still up in the air.  (I frequently have
my tower lower to sleep better during frequent winds where I live in
Arizona, near some mountains.)

This time, on my 89' US Tower, I let them hang as Steve says, but I was
worried about all of the weight hanging at a sharp right angle from the top
stand-off.  I taped the cables (2 coax, 1 rotor, and 1 remote switch) to the
top stand-off with both the thick pipe wrapping tape from Home Depot and 3M
33+ (didn't have 88).  I then used an electrical PVC (the gray stiff) PVC
"sweep" piece.  That's the gradual bend type; I used a 90 degree bend.  I
forget the size (1.5"??) that went through the UST coax stand-off and taped
it in place with lots of the thick tape.  This way the coax doesn't get
deformed, I hope, from the weight and Arizona temperatures.

BTW, I've found the adhesive on the thick tape doesn't last well, so I
usually wrap it with 33+.

Jim N7US