Re: [TowerTalk] De-soldering old, & Sold'g New, Flex-Weave,etc. Tips by

To: "'Steve Davis -Davis RF Co.'" <sdavis@davisrf.com>,'Tower Talk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] De-soldering old, & Sold'g New, Flex-Weave,etc. Tips by DAVIS RF Co.
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:22:49 -0600
Let's think about this a bit more.  Muriatic acid, Hydrochloric acid of
around 20 Baume strength - in my experience it takes less than 1 minute
soaking not 10 minutes.  I also would highly recommend rinsing the
acidized wire(s) with water before doing anything else - why splatter
acid around your work area with a wire brush?

Doug

Soak the end of the wire that you are cleaning in the acid for about 10
minutes and then use a small wire brush to brush the area you want
clean.  Go in one direction:  toward the end of the wire, with the
brush.  The oxidation on the fine wires will come off.  Dip it back in
the acid a few times after brushing it, swish in hot water then wipe it
by pulling it through a rag.  Allow to dry for about an hour, or set it
in the flow of a muffin fan, or use a hair dryer.  Then final form it
with your fingers and tin it with your iron or gun.

Tnx, 73,  Steve Davis   K1PEK   DAVIS RF Co.