Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question shield leakage

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question shield leakage
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:56:26 -0400
> I've seen coax isolation numbers >60 dB at 100 MHz (I'm
> not sure what
> the measurement condition is).. So, even if the leakage
> were
> quadrupled from a mismatch, it would still be 54 dB down.

We have to be careful here.

The leakage is >60dB but that is in a special standard test
fixture at virtually zero spacing to the cable in a closed
box.

It doesn't mean if we have 1000 watts applied the leakage
power radiated away from the cable is -60dB kW. It's that
field intensity in the test fixture at the spacing they use,
and it is a nearfield data point.

I'm trying to think of a better way to put this into
perspective. Consider two conductors in a well balanced open
wire line at 3" spacing with a kilowatt. One inch away to
the side we would measure an extreme signal level indicating
very high leakage, we could light a 100 watt light bulb. One
might conclude the line is useless.

Three feet away there would be very little measurable power.
We couldn't light a flashlight lamp.

One mile away we couldn't detect a thing.

It's pretty well understood SWR does not generally increase
feedline radiation. We also tend to greatly overestimate the
importance of a closed shield, or multiple shield layers.

73 Tom