Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower not answering emails

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower not answering emails
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:22:12 -0500
I had a lot of dealings with US Tower after my HDX-589 took a direct
lightning strike in April.

It took a few calls to identify the appropriate person to deal with, who
happened to be their head of quality, but I really don't have any complaints
(OK, I have one issue).  I got personal extensions for Vicky, sales at the
CA plant, the plant manager in KS (his name is Blake), and Brad Troxell, QA.
I even got to speak to their electrician in KS, Casey, about the wiring of
the motor and the remote control relay box.  Brad called me while traveling
and gave me his cell too.  I was on a first name basis with all of them, and
they paid attention to me.

When my new remote control relay box did not match up with the mounting
brackets on my 1994-vintage tower, I gave them the dimensions on my tower,
and they made custom brackets that were perfect.  They were not only
galvanized they had the four mounting holes countersunk for flat head
screws.  Heck, I even lost one screw in the grass, and Brad sent me another.

The only issue I had was their quote to overhaul the tower seemed
unreasonably high.  They wanted to replace the cable and pulleys which I
elected not to do because I didn't see damage.  I understand their position
of potential liability.  Their quote to travel from KS to the Chicago area
was very high, from the perspective of an individual ham; I wouldn't have
thought twice about it if I were with a company with a damaged tower.  (Yes,
insurance would have paid it all anyway.)

I ordered a new remote package, including the relay box, limit switches, and
inside remote control, plus a new motor from AES.  US Tower couldn't match
AES' prices on that stuff because their distributor agreements do not permit
it.  I ordered from AES who had the stuff drop shipped from the KS plant.
They would have sold directly to me but at their list prices.

Their distributors are there to handle routine orders.  I think it's a safe
assumption that hams are a relatively small part of their total business,
but I was satisfied with their support.

Jim N7US