Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Height Question - Dual Yagi's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Height Question - Dual Yagi's
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:03:48 -0500
Greg, excellent that you're getting interested in contesting.  Fun and
challenges since the 70s here!

Pete says pretty much exactly what I was going to say, with one exception: I
like 80 feet for my 40, but that's because I like domestic contesting.  That
said, the 100 foot height is always helpful for more options on 80 and 160.

Greg, where Pete is dead on is to remind us all that, by definition, there
is not an optimum height for a tribander.  In fact, if you optimize it for
one band, you are compromising on other bands, and it's possible you're
really hurting one of the other bands.  You can learn this stuff by modeling
the antenna.  Move the height around and look what happens to the pattern.

Pete has a great idea: use two smaller, lighter, cheaper tribanders.  At
http://force12inc.com/ you can see that the C31XR lists for $2357.  Two
C-3Es (like N4ZR) total $2286.  The amount of flexibility you get when you
can rotate them independently (or even only rotate one) and also switch
between top/bottom/both is staggering, and also makes the contest a whole
lot more fun when it gets slow.  You not only can select between different
directions if you want, you can beam two directions at the same time, or
pick the antenna with the better take-off angle (say for the Caribbean
compared to Europe or Japan).  I absolutely encourage you to think like this
rather than putting up one very large tribander.

Good luck OM.

73 - Mark, N5OT