[TowerTalk] Mast failures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast failures
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 21:27:31 -0500
I was camping and carried a 21 ft toprail for a chainlink fence for my 10
elt (horiz + 10 vertical) 2 meter beam.  I had it tied to the awning
supports near the front window on the motorhome and the bottom sitting on
the rotor attached to a board with nails extended into the ground to keep it
from twisting.

You had to see this to get the full effect but one morning after a storm,
the toprail had bent in a gentle curve starting just above the top mounting
point to the tip being completely horizontal and the beam was pointing
STRAIGHT at the ground.  The end was probably 3 or 4 ft clear of the ground.
It was absolutely hilarious.  I doubt I will ever forget.  Nothing was
damaged except the toprail.

Unless you can take a joke and the cost of failure, do it the right way.

73, Jim