Aluminum Tower idiosyncracy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Aluminum Tower idiosyncracy
From: vince@isolab.com (Vince Greczanik)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:39:57 -0800
I have an aluminum Universal tower which has splits in the lower leg
sections.  Has anyone had any success in repairing this anomaly? Or should
I just leave well it alone - I fear that heat due to welding may change the
current strength in this area.

I recently removed this tower from service and the sections were fastened
with carbon steel bolts.  I was surprised to see that the bolts were in
pretty good shape!  ... must have been the good drainage!   I too noticed
the 'reduced' diameter of the bolts but not too bad.  Rig was in service
over 10 years.

Before it goes back up I want to repair the splits and will surely use SS
fasteners. I will also utilize the 33+ at all the joints - excellent
suggestion by Tom (N4KG).

Keep up the good work!

Vince WD8MIC