[TowerTalk] Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical?
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:18:18 -0700
GAP Titan gets my vote (I have one). Been using GAPs since 1990
and satisfied. Actually a conventional 1/4-wave trapped vertical
such as the 14AVQ with an eight foot ground rod works very well.
Back in the mid-80's a friend and I livewd about 2 miles apart in
similar topographical conditions. We both ran TS830S and 14AVQs
except that his was ground mounted and had one or two four foot ground
rods in fairly conductive and homogenous soil and mine was roof mounted
(up about 20 or so ft) with six radials per band in a spoke pattern. We
both contacted the same station in Texas on (I think) 40m SSB. My friend
was down "only" one "S" unit. On the meter but the Texan said we were
equally strong and loud in his headphones.
73, Bob AA0CY