[TowerTalk] Protected Land Area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protected Land Area
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:37:42 -0700
It is called the rolling ball concept and is based on the fact
that lightning travels down in approximately 150-foot (50 m)
increments known as step leaders. Basically, you roll an
imaginery ball with a radius of that distance around the tower.
Any point which is touched by the circumference can be hit.
Any point underneath this circumference and the tower is in the
96% protected zone. It is 96% because the step leader may be
somewhat less than 150' or 50 m. Also the step leader may not
follow a logical course. Lightning follows the rules of Calvinball
(comic strip Calvin & Hobbes, no longer done). Simply put, the
only rules in Calvinball is that there are no rules and they can
change at any time (kinda sorta like life itself!)

73,
Bob AA0CY