[TowerTalk] entrance panels for grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] entrance panels for grounding
From: k0il@mitec.net" <k0il@mitec.net (Ed - K0iL)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:11:11 -0600
On Tuesday, 21 December, 1999 7:56 AM, Mark . [SMTP:n1lo@hotmail.com]
wrote:
> 4) Isolation of hamshack gear from ground when not operating.
>
> 2) Tie in the panel to the electrical service and tower ground system
> (single point) with a low impedance conductor, such as copper pipe or
wide
> strap.

I would think you'd want the equipment chassis  to remain grounded.  That
way the equipment and AC ground is the same potential at all times, and a
local rise in potential won't result in surge into the AC power cord
feeding the unground "floating" equipment.

If you isolate the equipment from ground, you should also unplug every AC
power cord to prevent the above type of surge from happening.  Of course a
good surge arrester would help, but I'd think that grounded equipment would
reduce the need to rely on the suppressor.  Wouldn't it?

73,
de ed -K0iL