[TowerTalk] DOVETRON Stealth

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DOVETRON Stealth
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:42:48 -0800
Hi Bob,

I would put this thing in the same category as the guy who charges cancer
patients to pump ozone up their butts. As with any con job, there is a kernel
of truth to what he is selling - the concept of exciting your house wiring as
an antenna is reasonably sound. It would be far from an optimum antenna
system, but it will radiate. In absence of any other conducting structure, its
probably better than nothing.

All the other stuff about quadrature excitation, isotropic point sources, and
low angle radiation is pure fantasy. The idea that you could somehow couple
into a random electrical wiring structure and claim "a prior" that an isotropic
pattern would result is beyond the pale. Some people are shameless.

I bought an old Dentron Super Super Tuner at a hamfest a few years back for
$50. In most cases it will handle the output of my Drake L7 and it will load my
80 meter dipole on 160 - 10 (sometimes I have to add a piece of jumper coax
between the antenna and tuner to change the impedance to something matchable).
Save yourself $500 and buy yourself a used T or PI network for $50.