[TowerTalk] HDBX

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HDBX
From: "Tom Mandera" <tsm1@tmcom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:09:13 -0700
> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:24:26 -0500
> From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDBX-48 figures for 90 mph zone
> To: "David  Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>,
>       <towertalk@contesting.com>
>
> There is a 40 yr old HDBX-48 at  wa3gin in as new condition... reason
> being
> the rotor is bolted to the concrete base and steel pipe runs up the middle
> of the tower through the trust bearing and up five feet in the air where
> the
> tri-bander is mounted.  No twist on the tower this way ;-)

I have a 40' HDBX that I bought second hand from a SK.  It came with the
Sommer XP708 beam on top, which exceeds the boom-length restriction, but
is under the 18sq ft 70mph rating.  Fortunately, the package also included
the 40+' of mast and the PST51 rotator bolted to a plate that stands off
of, but is bolted to, the concrete and installed as you describe.  (This
keeps the rotator from sitting the snow too much)

The rivets were in good shape when I re-erected the tower at my QTH.