Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Pigtails - Opinions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Pigtails - Opinions?
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:03:33 -0600
Maybe this is a dumb question, or maybe not.  I appreciate that one can
"avoid" pigtails by using connectors, but if one ultimately has to connect
to an antenna with some kind of lug, and for whatever reason inserting a
balun is not possible, aren't you just moving the pigtail off the run coax
but still having the same exposure issues on the short piece at the antenna?

Also, if you had water wicking into the braid, and a PL259-SO239-PL259 union
was downstream only a few inches, could not this connector sequence also
pass water from within, down into the run coax, between the outside of the
shield and the jacket?  UHF connectors are not waterproof.

Mark, N5OT

P.S. I use roofing tar sometimes and hot-glue-and-shrink at other times.  If
success is measured by making QSOs, I would conclude my approach has not
failed.